January 20, 1900
Due to reported cases of the Bubonic Plague, the Board of Health ordered fires to be set to a portion of the Chinatown district. High winds spread the fires, burning the entire Chinatown and neighboring areas and displacing thousands of residents. Tenement houses were built in the Kalihi-Pālama area.
June 1, 1896
P.C. Jones, President of C. Brewer & Co. and a Founder of Bank of Hawaii built Palama Chapel on the corner of Liliha and King Streets. Central Union Church managed its operations. Activities included Boys’ clubs, sewing society, and singing classes. A primary school was established.